For camp this weekend please make sure you have with you all of your walking kit on the list below PLUS your usual camping kit (including a chair) in a separate bag. Make sure you have with you enough food to eat while you are walking, do not forget you will be walking for between 10 and 13 hours. DO NOT BRING DRINKS, water is provided on the way round, drinks are far too heavy to carry with you all day. Below is a photo of the drinks confiscated from ONE walker a few years ago, please do not be ‘that’ person.
I have received a few health forms, if you have not handed one in to me yet make sure you bring one with you on Friday.
Walking Kit List
PERSONAL kit (each participant MUST carry/wear all of the kit in this list)
- Long sleeved base layer
- Warm long sleeved shirt
- Long sleeved microfleece or suitable jumper/top
- Full length legwear suitable for outdoor use (NOT denim)
- Quality wind and waterproof coat & over trousers
- Spare socks
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Food for consumption en route
- Pencil and paper
- Watch (or other devise with a clock on it i.e. mobile phone)
- Drinking mug
- Compass (The compass should be of Silva or Suunto type with a roamer and base plate to take and walk on a bearing, suitable for use with your OS maps)
- Torch – Wind up torches are not suitable
- Polythene exposure bag at least 6’x2’6” 500 gauge (or metric equivalent) foil blankets may be carried in addition but not instead of
- Hi-visibility waistcoats with reflective banding which must be visible front and rear
The list below is kit that your TEAM must carry
- First Aid kit which should include as a minimum a good supply of plasters, blister treatment, antiseptic wipes and wound dressings.
- Emergency high energy food such as mars bars, Kendal mint cake or any such snacks according to your preference.
- Thermos flask with hot drink.
- Sleeping bag (suitable for keeping a casualty warm)
- All rucksacks must display reflective material visible from the rear – A high level of
- Hi-visibility and reflective banding (which can be supplemented with red lamps such as bicycle lamps) is to be placed specifically around the rucksack of the team’s backmarker. This could be an additional hi-viz jacket worn around the rucksack.
Food on Friday night
As you know we will be going to the local fish and chips shop on the Friday evening, please bring with you money to cover what you have ordered. It would make my life A LOT easier if you brought the correct money. Please have a look at this site: HERE to check how much you owe.
Beaudesert Scout Camp Site
The address for Beaudesert is:
Beaudesert Activity Centre
We hope to be camping at the top of the path that heads to the campfire on the left hand side, the path is located directly opposite the car park.
Between now and Friday you should be stocking up on carbs, eat extra bread and pasta to build up your energy levels.
See you at camp.